Common Cadre Employees:

           Q1. Who is the appointing authority of A.S.Os ?

          Ans:- The Secretaries of the respective Administrative Departments are the appointing authorities of Assistant Section Officers.

            Q2.   What is Cadre strength of A.S.O ?

           Ans:- 1891

             Q3.  Which institution imparts training to the Secretariat Assistants/ A.S.Os ?                             

           Ans:- Orissa Secretariat Training Institute imparts training to the A.S.Os.

                       Q4. What are the promotional Grades of A.S.Os ?

           Ans:- S.O/ D.O/ U.S/ D.S/ J.S/ Addl. Secretary are the promotional Grades of A.S.Os.

  Orissa Secretariat Service Cadre

             Q1.   What are the Cadres in Orissa Secretariat Service (OSS) ?

             Ans.    The Cadres in OSS are 1. Section Officer  , 2. Desk Officer , 3. Under Secretary , 4. Deputy Secretary,

                          5. Joint Secretary and 6. Additional Secretary in ascending order.  

              Q2.    What are the total sanctioned strengths in different Cadres of Orissa Secretariat Service (OSS) ? 


Cadre Sanctioned Strength Eligibility Criteria
Additional Secretary 4   Promotion is given, depending on the availability   of vacancy, as per the Seniority List.
Joint Secretary 11   Promotion is given, depending on the availability of vacancy, as per the Seniority List.
Deputy Secretary 26   Promotion is given, depending on the availability of vacancy, as per the Seniority List.
Under Secretary 105    6 years as Section Officer and Desk Officer taken together
Desk Officer 250    3 years as Assistant Section Officer (A.S.O.) 
Section Officer 500    9 years as Senior Assistant ( Re-designated as A.S.O.)

       PAR Management 

              Q1.      What is PAR?

             Ans:-   PAR is the abbreviated form of ‘Performance Appraisal Report’ applicable to Group-‘B’ and Group-‘A’ officers of Government  of Orissa.              

  Q-2      Whose PARs are preserved and maintained in Home (Confidential) Department?

           Ans.-    The PARs of Group-‘B’ Government Officers under the administrative control of Home Department, are maintained in Home (Confidential)         Department.

             Q-3.     To whom, the PARs are addressed?

            Ans.     Complete PARs may be forwarded in the address of Branch Officer in charge of Home (Confidential) Department. 

  Q-4.     Can original PARs be provided to the concerned Establishments on their requisitions for purpose of promotion, selection etc.?

           Ans.-    No. Original PARs may not be provided by the Home (Confidential) Department, for the purpose of promotion, selection etc. Only attested     copies of PARs may be provided for the same purposes.

           Q-5.     To whom, original PARs may be provided by the Home (Confidential) Department?

         Ans.     Original PARs may be provided by the Home (Confidential) Department, as and when specifically required by the Orissa Public Service     Commission/Courts.

           Q-6      What is the period for Reporting a PAR?

           Ans.     PARs may be recorded for each financial year or part thereof. The minimum period for recording remarks in the PAR of an Officer may   be four consecutive months in a financial year.

           Q-7.     Can PAR for the period, indicating one part of one financial year & another part of subsequent financial year, be recorded?

             Ans.     No, PAR indicating more than one financial year may not be recorded in one form. Separate forms may be used for each financial year or part there of. 

  Q-8      Whether Leaves taken by the Officer need be computed towards the period of four months?

           Ans.     For computing the period of four months, Leaves taken or training programme attended by an officer for a continuous period of less than thirty days may be considered.

           Q-9      What is the level of assessment and who are the recording authorities?

           Ans.     There may ordinarily be three (3) levels of assessment excluding the self-assessment of the appraisee. These levels are (1) Reporting Authority, (2) Reviewing Authority and (3) Accepting Authority in order as given in the Schedule of Instruction. These authorities are recording authorities.

           Q-10    How can one get the PAR form?

           Ans.     One may download the PAR form from the website (http://w.w.w. Orissa.gov.in/ga /CCR/ccr.htm).

           Q-11    Who can initiate the PAR and when?

           Ans.     PAR may be initiated by the appraisee within one month following the end of the financial year.

           Q-12    What are the gradings, while recording remarks in the PAR? 

           Ans.     While recording remarks in the PAR, recording authority may sum up her/his assessments on the work of the Officer into one of the following grades i.e “ Outstanding”, Very good””, Good”, “Average” and  “ Below average”.

           Q-13    Who can issue “No Remarks Certificate”?

           Ans.     “No Remarks Certificate” may be issued by Home (Confidential) Department in respect of Group-‘B’ Officers under the administrative control of Home Department.

           Q-14    Who can review the PAR?

           Ans.     Home (Confidential) Department may review the PAR of Group-‘B’ Officer after receipt of the same.

           Q-15    Who is the competent authority to deal the representation against adverse remarks? 

Ans.     Home Secretary is the competent authority to deal with the representation against the adverse remarks recorded in the PAR of any Group-‘B’ Officer under administrative control of Home Department.

                     In case Home Secretary is the author of adverse remarks, then Chief Secretary may be competent to deal with the representation.

   Q-16    What is the preservation period of PARs? 

  Ans.  PARs may be preserved for a period of one(1) year from the date of death/retirement/resignation/dismissal/discharge of the concerned officer unless there is a disciplinary proceeding/Vigilance Case/ Court case relating to gradation/promotion pending before such retirement/ resignation/ dismissal/discharge. In latter case, the PARs may be preserved till final disposal.


Pensionary Benefits

             Q1.  What’s the rule that governs the sanction of pensionary benefits?

            Ans:-    The sanction of pensionary benefits are  based on Odisha Civil Service (Pension) Rules, 1992 and Odisha Civil Service (Commutation  of  pension) Rules, 1992.

              Q2.   To whom the pensionary benefits are sanctioned?

              Ans:- Pensionary  benefits are sanctioned in favour of those retiring/retired/died persons whose appointing authority is Home Department . The Home  Department is the appointing authority of different cadres of employees such as  O.P.S., Fire Service, Jail Service, Steno, O.S.J.S., O.S.S., (S.O. to Additional Secretary) and Class-III & IV staff of this Department. Besides, pensionary benefits of retiring/retired/died IPS officers are also sanctioned.

               Q3.  How to apply for pensionary benefits and what’s the procedure?                             

          Ans:- i) The retiring/retired Government employees or legal heirs in case of died Government Servants have to apply in prescribed forms for sanction of pensionary benefits to their  Head of Office.  The forms are available here.

                       ii) The Head of Office forwards the pensionary documents to Home Department after necessary verification/scrutinisation.

iii) On receipt of the pensionary documents, this Department sanctions the final pensionary benefits such as pension, commuted value   of   pension, Gratuity, Family Pension and Death Gratuity.

 iv) Then the pensionary documents are forwarded to the A.G. (A. & E.), Odisha, Bhubaneswar after thorough scrutiny.

          v)   After receipt of the pensionary documents and taking necessary actions, the AG( A & E), Odisha, Bhubaneswar release the Final Authorities on Pension/ Family Pension , Retirement Gratuity/ Death Gratuity and Commuted value of Pension in favour of the concerned pensioners with instructing the concerned Treasuries for payment under intimation to the Pension Sanctioning Authority(PSA).

 vi)                The PSA requests the concerned Head of Office to furnish the drawal/ non-drawal certificate on provisional pensions/ Family Pension, Retirement Gratuity/ Death Gratuity and Commuted value of Pension to the concerned Treasuries.

vii)              Then the Head of Office furnishes the Drawal/non-drawal certificates to the concerned Treasuries for making the regular payments to the concerned Pensioners.

            Q4.  Are the pensionary benefits sanctioned at the time of retirement?

Ans:- Yes. But in those cases where the final pensionary benefits are not possible to Settle/Sanction at the time of retirement, Provisional pensionary benefits are sanctioned in order to avoid delay. After the aforesaid procedure in Q3 is maintained, the final pensionary benefits are released.

                      Q5. Is there provision for revision of pensionary benefits ?          

Yes. Specially, as per F.D.O.M. No.3653/F dt.19.1.09, actions are taken for revision of pensionary benefits for those retired/ died in between 01.01.2006 and 30.11.2008.

                Q6.  Is there provision for re-sanction of undrawn pension/ arrear pension?

              Ans:- Yes. Action is taken for re-sanction of undrawn pension/arrear pension as per Rule 317 of OTC-Vol.I.

                     Q7.  Are the pending cases of pensions reviewed periodically?

Ans:- Yes. As per P.G. & P.A. Circular No.Pen (Adl.)35-49-7029 (210) dated.30.12.1999, quarterly pending report is prepared in every quarter ending & the same is supplied to Finance Department and P.G. & P.A. Department for necessary actions at their end.

Secretariat Security :

Q 1.   What is the Rule that governs entry and exit permit into Secretariat ?

Ans.:-   Orissa Secretariat Security Rules-1993

 Q2 .    What is Visitor's Pass ?

Ans.:-    Visitor's pass means a paper pass issued by the Reception Cell, Secretariat for the entry into Secretariat and that shall be valid for the date of  issue  only.

   Q3.    Who are entitled to receive Visitors ?

Ans.:-   The Officers of the rank of Deputy Secretary and above in the Secretariat are entitled to receive visitors as per Rule-74 of Orissa Secretariat Security Rules-1993.

   Q4.    What is the procedure for issue of Visitor's Pass?

Ans.:-    In order to avail Visitor's Pass, the Visitor shall first approach the Receptionist in the reception Cell. Before issuing the pass the Receptionist shall ascertain the purpose of  visit and then find out over telephone whether the concerned Officer to be visited agrees to meet the Visitor. If the concerned Officer agrees, thereafter the receptionist  issues the pass.

  Q5.    How can one prove his identity at the Reception Counter at the time of requesting for visitors pass ?

Ans:- One has to show his Voter I. Card, Pan Card etc. to the Receptionist at Reception Counter for issue of Visitors  pass  in  his favour.

  Q6.   Are the regular passes  issued for entering into Secretariat ?

Ans:- Yes. These passes are Identity Card and Admission Card.

   Q7.    What is Identity Card ?

 Ans:- Identity card is  issued only to the regular employee of Orissa Secretariat.

   Q8.  What is the tenure of Identity Card?

  Ans:- The tenure of Identity Card is  five years or till the date of superannuation whichever is earlier.

   Q9.    What is admission card ?

  Ans:- Admission card is issued to  other persons( Government/Non Government/Pvt.)  who have work in the Departments of Secretariat.

   Q10. What is the procedure for issue of Admission Card to the Government employee other than Secretariat ?

  Ans:- His/her application in Form “D” should be forwarded to Home (Secretariat Security) Department with due sponsoring  of authorised sponsoring authority of concerned Administrative Department.

   Q11. What is the maximum time period of issue of Secretariat Admission Card to government employees other than  Secretariat?

   Ans:- 3 Years.

   Q12. What is the procedure for issue of Secretariat admission card to non-Government employees ?

   Ans:- His/her application in Form D(I) should be forwarded to Home (Secretariat Security) Department with due sponsoring of authorised sponsoring authority of concerned Administrative Department.

    Q13.  Who is authorised sponsoring authority for sponsoring application Form D/D(I)?

   Ans:-  Each department has declared one or two officers of their department as sponsoring authority in respect of Form D/D(I) and furnished their Name , Designation, Telephone No and Specimen Signature to  Home (Secretariat Security) Department.